Buying Real Estate in Belize
Deciding to buy Real Estate in Belize is an easy decision once you know all the benefits. To get started, here’s a quick list of the TOP 7 Reasons you should invest in Belize:
- English is the official language.
- British Common Law means that international investors can own property in their own name.
- The Belize dollar tracks the US dollar at 2:1.
- Belize is a T-8 Tax Haven and has no capital gains tax, no estate tax, very low property tax, and 3% income tax on rental income generated.
- Cost of living is much less than most metropolitan areas in North America.
- Proximity. Belize is a short flight to the US and shares US time zones.
- Belize’s booming tourism means strong rental income for real estate investors interested in generating a return from their asset.
At the James Group Real Estate we pride ourselves in taking extra special care of our clients and making sure you find exactly what you’re looking for in Belize.
Should you get a Buyer’s Agent? Absolutely.
Did you know that in a real estate purchase, the buyer doesn’t pay anything extra to have their own agent represent them? A buyer’s agent is important to represent the buyer’s fiduciary interests. Many purchasers go directly to the developer or seller when they could hire an agent to have their best interests at heart — at no extra cost! Don’t make the rookie mistake of navigating an international real estate purchase without an experienced buyer’s agent on your team.
Having a buyer’s agent in Belize ensures that you have a real estate professional who is looking out for your best interests and who has a deep knowledge of property for sale in Belize. The James Group maintains personal relationships with developments throughout Belize in order to provide our clients with all of the best real estate opportunities available.
Our Real Estate Services
What services can The James Group offer you?
- Property Sales: Assisting clients in buying and selling residential, commercial, and investment properties in Belize.
- Property Listings: Maintaining an up-to-date inventory of available properties, showcasing details and visuals to attract potential buyers.
- Property Valuation: Conducting accurate property valuations to determine fair market prices for buying or selling.
- Buyer Representation: Representing buyers in negotiations, property inspections, and helping them find the right property based on their requirements and budget.
- Seller Representation: Assisting sellers in listing their properties, marketing them effectively, and negotiating favorable terms and conditions with potential buyers.
- Rental Services: Facilitating rental agreements between landlords and tenants, including property search, lease negotiations, and property management.
- Investment Consulting: Providing expert advice on investment opportunities, conducting market research, and helping clients make informed decisions.
- Legal Support: Collaborating with reputable attorneys to ensure all legal aspects, including title searches, contracts, and property transfers, are handled efficiently and accurately. We will be sure to walk you through the closing process.
- International Clients: Catering to the needs of international clients by offering specialized services, such as property viewing arrangements, remote transactions, and guidance on local laws and regulations. We aim to educate you on Belize’s market conditions, cost of living, tourism statistics as well as the investment benefits.
There’s no better way to learn about Belize Real Estate than to visit Belize and we have a trip designed with just this in mind. The James Group will host you or your group on a 2-3 day trip to Belize. We’ll show you the various properties based on your interests and investment style. Let us know what you’re looking for and we’ll customize the experience.
Frequently Asked Questions about Belize Real Estate
Yes, foreigners can buy property in Belize. Belize has no restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate.
The process for purchasing real estate in Belize typically involves finding a property, making an offer, completing due diligence, signing a purchase agreement, and closing the sale with the assistance of a local attorney.
The costs associated with buying property in Belize include closing costs, government fees, and legal fees. The total costs will depend on the value of the property.
Foreigners can purchase any type of property in Belize, including land, homes, condos, and commercial properties.
It is highly recommended to hire a local attorney when buying property in Belize. A local attorney can help with the legal and regulatory aspects of the purchase.
Belizean mortgages typically require a down payment of at least 20% of the purchase price. Borrowers must also have a good credit history and demonstrate an ability to repay the loan.
Yes, there are property taxes in Belize. The rates vary depending on the type and value of the property.
To protect your investment in Belize real estate, it is important to conduct due diligence, hire a local attorney, and obtain title insurance.
The benefits of owning property in Belize include affordable prices, a stable government, English as the official language, and a friendly and welcoming culture.
This all depends on where and what you buy, but most of then the answer is: Yes, you can rent out your Belize property when you're not using it. If you have purchased a property within a development there will be a rental management agreement in place before rentals can occur. If you have purchased an independent property, you can easily rent it out with platforms such as AirBnB or other similar booking engines.
Belize has a growing tourism industry and there are many opportunities for vacation rentals and long-term rentals.